Smoked Applewood << an occasionally mobile blog >>



My status

Monday, January 08, 2007

Creating a Musical Profile, Breaking Down the Walls of Prejudice

I'm beginning to build up a musical profile on Last.fm - about 40 tracks listened to, quite a few where I've expressed my love for them. I thought I had quite narrow tastes in music, yet the music Last.fm brings to my attention seems little by little to be breaking down my prejudices, expanding my horizons quite substantially.

I recognise the names and begin to associate them with real sounds. There is just so much good music out there - I never really appreciated how much.

In fact, creating a musical profile like this is, in a way, like playing a musical instrument. Touching here, edging there, creating a landscape of meaning, exploring meaning. Its interactivity and revelatory qualities mimic the artistic process. There is a curious artistry in profiling.

No comments:

This Blog © 2007-2010 Miljenko Williams as per CC Licence


Donate