Smoked Applewood << an occasionally mobile blog >>



My status

Friday, January 05, 2007

How Deaf I've Been All These Years

I've been playing with the Last.fm tools these past couple of days. I like a number of things about them. Firstly, much of them are free. Some buttons on the software make a message pop up which says the service is available only to subscribers, though I still haven't worked out how to become one.

It's strange how important "monetising" free services has become - and how difficult becoming a Last.fm "monetisee" seems to be!

Secondly, it encourages you not only to listen but also read around your comfort zones. This technology could surely be applied to many other areas of knowledge. Political thought comes to mind, but any other subject of burning interest could come under its umbrella.

Thirdly, I'm not only listening to and reading about others but also learning about myself as I do so. Self-revelation is very gratifying. This software gratifies.

These are the main reasons I'm finding Last.fm fascinating. I'd love to take its database and apply it to other fields. In the meantime, I'm just enjoying the music and realising how deaf I've been all these years.

No comments:

This Blog © 2007-2010 Miljenko Williams as per CC Licence


Donate